Day One: Tuesday, June 25th
9.30am: Registration Opens: Ground Floor, Old Library Building. Conference on Second floor Research Beehive.
10am: Introduction and Welcome: Dr Bethany Usher, Dr Gareth Longstaff and Dr Darren Kelsey
10.15am-11.15am: Key Note 1: Prof. David Marshall
‘Persona Studies’ Future: Disciplinary Intersections and the New Era of Negotiated Public Self.’
11.15am-11.45am: Persona Studies: An Introduction book launch – with coffee and cake. Courtyard restaurant (ground floor Beehive Building).
11.45-1.20pm: Session 1:
1a: Persona curation, biography and autobiography.
Chair: Dr Ian Biddle
1. Constructing a Posthumous Persona through Biographical Film: The Case of Fabrizio De André as iconic Italian singer-songwriterin Il Principe libero (2018)
2. ‘You’ll need a good companion for this part of the ride’: Navigating Bruce Springsteen’s sonic persona in the Born to Run audiobook
3. “I do not have an image, I am just who I am”: Marit Larsen, persona and authenticity in popular music
4. The Curated Death: David Bowie, the Death Event, and the Dying Persona
1b: Star Persona.
Chair: Dr Helena Bassil-Morozow
1. Sylvester Stallone and the Economics of the Ageing Film Star
2. The Star in VR
3. Bette Davis: Monster/Mother, Fighter/Victim
4. Innocence and Sexuality: Persona and the Bollywood Star
1c: Constructing online persona
Chair: Dr David Giles
1.“The truth about Shane Dawson”: Rehabilitating the YouTube Celebrity Persona
Dr Rachel Berryman
2. Psychoanalysis and the Politics of Self Representation in the online persona of Gabriel Cross
3. Interpreting the elements of personas in social media behaviour
4. The social media stage: pop and persona construction
1.20pm-2pm: Please pick up packed lunch from social area, Floor 2, Beehive Building/Old Library Building (outside of seminar rooms).
2-3.30pm Session 2
2a: Persona Studies and Theatre
Chair: Dr Martin Shingler
1.The Making and Unmaking of Persona, Live on Stage: The Explosive Case of Hanna Gadsby
2. The Uses of Persona in Stand-up Comedy about Mental Health
3. Making Mischief: David Hare and the Celebrity Playwright’s Political Persona
2b: Professional Persona
Chair: Dr Darren Kelsey
1. Intermediaries and Personae: A radical rhetorical reading of marketing work
2. Scientific Persona Performance Online: targeting biographical statements
3. How might persona studies inform assessment design in higher education?
Rola Ajjawi, P.D. Marshall
4. How might persona studies inform assessment design in higher education? Keeping up the image: how TV hosts’ persona informs the process of news production in Pakistan.
Prof. Altaf Khan
2c: Persona, politics, audience
Chair: Dr Bethany Usher
1. Trumpism: The Effects of Mediated Ethos on Audiences’ Epistemic Defences
Dr Rania Nakkouzi
2. Kanye West and the (Neo) Liberal ‘Call Out’: Pop[ulist] Persona, and ‘Post-Racial’ heterodox
3. My favorite female politician, my governor, my idol: citizens, fans and political celebritization in Argentina �
3.45pm-5.15pm: Key Note 2: Professor Anne Jerslev. Introduction: Dr Kim Barbour
‘Negotiating the persona: gendered paradoxes of ageing female celebrity – Madonna at the Met Gala 2016.’
7pm: Geordie Gala Dinner at Dobson and Parnell, The Quayside. Regional and seasonal cuisine and produce. https://www.dobsonandparnell.co.uk/
Please note menus are seasonal and we will select choices a week before the conference. If you did not book at time of registration, there are some places available. Please contact Bethany Usher.